August 24, 2011

The Spark Blogfest

Taking part in the Sparkfest by Christine Tyler. Sign up here!


1. What book made you realize you were doomed to be a writer?
1. It wasn't any one book. As a child, every time I read a new book, I wanted to tell my own version of it. Horror, mythology, scifi, fantasy, contemporary, romance--everything I read I wanted to write. Oftentimes, I did. Eventually, I settled into fantasy, but I attribute my current genre love to a little bit of everything.

After reading magpiewrite's post, it reminded me of my own struggle between my writing and my artwork. Writing has always been my #1 love, but I also really wanted to be good at this art thing. But after going back and forth for years, I began to feel mediocre at both and decided I really just wanted to excel at one. So I had to choose. In the end, it wasn't a competition.

2. What author set off that spark of inspiration for your current Work in Progress?
2. My current wip is a YA cyberpunk fantasy that came together in different stages. The MC came to me while exchanging critiques with a friend. She said something, lightning struck me, and I had to write it down immediately. The plot, subplots, and world came afterward in solo brainstorming sessions, so I suppose I'd credit the spark of inspiration to that friend, who is also an aspiring writer and a damn good one too! I have zero doubt she'll be published one day.

As an aside, she co-runs a book review blog on tumblr called Two Girls Read Books. It is fabulous.

3. Is there a book or author that changed your world view?
3. The Giver by Lois Lowry. I read it when I was fourteen, and it blew my teenage mind. Up to that point, my thoughts about the future involved what nifty new technology we'd have. It made me aware of and seriously think about the social and political state of a futuristic society. It's still the story I hold all other dystopians and utopians up to.

Well, that was fun and rambly. Now that I've bored you all, please go forth and join the Sparkfest so that I can pick your brain we can share our inspirations.

There will be no Friday post this week so have a great rest of the week and weekend! ♥
 

Lori M Lee Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphics from Questofdreams (Lori Lee)