September 26, 2011

Second Campaigner Challenge! Ikuwayo!

The Second Challenge as posted by Rachael Harrie:

"Write a blog post in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should:
    • include the word "imago" in the title
    • include the following 4 random words: "miasma," "lacuna," "oscitate," "synchronicity,"
If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional and included in the word count), make reference to a mirror in your post. For those who want an even greater challenge (optional), make your post 200 words EXACTLY!"


MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! (note: Baka means 'idiot' or similar in Japanese)

Imago Immortal
(Entry #113 - did it change? lol)

You kneel along the riverbank, the hem of your yukata hitched around your thin legs to avoid the spatter of mud. You've pulled your hair back into a sagging bun, and I imagine the way black wisps break stubbornly free to dance along the curve of your jaw.

I remain beneath the cover of the branches, uncertain, a miasma of questions darkening my thoughts. Thirty years to the day and, in peculiar synchronicity, I find you again at the river's edge, washing the day's work from hands that are still thin for a child's. For me, the years have pressed into my skin and left hollows in my eyes. But for you, time stood still.

I stare, oscitate, deliberate words that I know in my heart will never be voiced. What do you see when you glimpse the distortions of your face in the river's mirror? What echoes in the lacuna of your mind where I once was? Do shades of me remain to haunt your dreams, just enough to make you wonder?

Do you remember when we stood beneath the ember trees, and I linked your smallest finger in mine. "Promise?"

"Baka," you said. "How could I forget you?"

And for today's bit of artwork, something hopefully thought-provoking:


♥ ♥ ♥
 

Lori M Lee Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphics from Questofdreams (Lori Lee)