July 2, 2012

Rambling about Brave

No writing-related post today. Instead, I'm just going to ramble a little about Brave.


I watched Brave last weekend, and I quite enjoyed it. Didn't fall head over heels in love like I did with How to Train Your Dragon, but I still really liked it.

I think what I loved the most about the movie, aside from the gorgeous animation and the soundtrack, was that it was about the love between a mother and daughter. Merida and Elinor were both, in their own ways, strong and capable women. And they were driven by familial love instead of romantic love, which was wonderfully refreshing.

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know I'm a huge fan of stories about family relationships.

I liked that Merida and Elinor both displayed their strengths in different ways. Merida could rival Hawkeye in a shootout while Elinor could command silence and respect without saying a single word. There was value in each side, and they were able to see that by the end and find a compromise.

It was far from a perfect film, but I adored both Merida and Elinor, and I think the film did a great job with their characters.

What did you think? And, be honest now, did you cry? =P

 

Lori M Lee Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphics from Questofdreams (Lori Lee)