October 12, 2012

The Next Big Thing meme

The name of this meme makes me cringe a bit, but at least it aims big? :P

I was tagged for this WIP survey by the lovely ladies at A Nudge in the Right Direction, and you should totally check out their answers b/c their books sound fab.

What is the working title of your book?
When I start new stories, I tend to just name them after my MC so it was Ven for a while. Now it's Dragonfly, but that'll change because I'm very 'meh' about it.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
My stories are usually the result of several ideas mixed into one. For this one, the setting actually came first. I had this city in my head, and I'd been building it bit by bit for months, but I didn't have a story to go with it yet. Then I was listening to Taylor Swift's Back to December (hush, don't judge) and wondered for what reason someone might leave someone they loved without any notice or explanation. Then I thought about how much I love Naruto, a manga about a ninja who carries around an enormous fox demon inside of him, but I didn't want it to be a fantasy so I came at it from a different angle. And then I just mashed everything together.

What genre does your book fall under?
YA science fiction. I think...

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I'm no good at imagining real life people as my characters. And if I tried, it would literally take me weeks.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
I suck at these. Basically, it's about a girl who struggles with the monster inside her, and the boy sent to hunt her down.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
My agent gave me the thumb's up for the first three chapters, so hopefully she doesn't hate the rest of it lol.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? May we see an intro?
The first draft took me three weeks. That sounds impressive, but it was pretty much a literary mess.

Here's the opening line: The bustle of the market should have been an easy way to shake someone, but Nine's increasing unease kept the back of Ven's neck burning with awareness.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I've been calling it Cinder meets Naruto. Not sure how that'll hold up since I doubt most editors are familiar with Naruto.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
See question two. Plus, I wanted to write something set in the future, but wasn't quite spaceships and intergalactic travel.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
There are three princes, a variety of aircrafts, scrap gangs, sky towers, and a murder mystery. I think it's neat.

---

Now I'm supposed to tag people. Ummmm. Honestly, I think everyone and their mom has been tagged already so I'll just say if you want it, go for it ♥

Have a great weekend!
 

Lori M Lee Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphics from Questofdreams (Lori Lee)