October 2, 2013

What's Up Wednesday 05

What I'm Reading
My own book, Gates of Thread and Stone, for reasons that involve plotting the sequel. And hey, look, here it is on Goodreads if you want to add it. *winkwink*

/end shameless plug

What I'm Writing
See above. As I was driving to pick up my sister from the airport last week, I spent a lot of time thinking about the plot of the sequel, and--pun not intended--the gate finally seemed to open because ideas and snippets of dialogue and scenes came rushing out. It was fantastic :)

Of course, because my Disney twin would be Dory, I always have to write things down or I forget them. Since I was driving, I used my phone to record myself babbling about everything. It was awkward.

What Else I've Been Up To
My sister had her Hmong wedding this past weekend. It was exhausting. I spent a lot of time scraping a freshly butchered cow's stomach lining aka that so-called delicacy tripe.

Also, I've learned my lesson with trying to sneak a piece of meat before it's served. I thought the sliced beef looked a bit... chewy. So I nibbled on a fleshy edge, which was quite well seasoned, before my uncle who was cutting the beef looked at me and said, "Are you sure you want to eat that?"

Still nibbling, I said, "Why? What is it?"

My brother, helpful guy that he is, said, "It's just meat. Eat it."

I picked up another piece that looked different from the one I was nibbling. It was softer, more membrane-like. I said, "Is it liver?"

My brother, still ever so helpful, said, "No." He didn't elaborate.

My uncle said, "It's a private part."

Finally, my brother said, "It's testicle. And that's the penis."

That, as in the piece I'd been nibbling.

I looked at them. I looked at the meat in my hand. Then I turned and marched away to present my slice of penis to my nephew, who happily ate it. Everyone else laughed.

What Inspires Me Right Now
This annotated copy of Red by Alison Cherry, which I've promised myself I'll devour once I finish plotting this wretched book (said with love).



SOON, MY DARLING. SOON.

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme that helps readers and writers touch base with blog friends. If you'd like to join in, you can find the link widget on Jaime's and Erin's blogs.

 

Lori M Lee Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphics from Questofdreams (Lori Lee)